Yongsan International School of Seoul
Yongsan International School of Seoul (YISS) is located in the heart of Seoul, the capital of South Korea. Twenty-five million people, almost half of the population of Korea, live in the greater Seoul area. It is a safe, modern city with excellent public transportation and many social and cultural opportunities. It is also a great starting point for traveling to many other countries in Asia. Korean is the official language of the country, but Seoul is relatively English-friendly. The weather is beautiful in the spring and fall, hot and humid in the summer, and at times very cold in the winter.
YISS stresses academic and spiritual excellence and seeks to integrate a biblical worldview in all we do as a school. We do this with a student body from over 50 countries. God blesses us with many opportunities to share the Gospel and to disciple those who know and those who come to know Christ.
Our K-12 academic program is based on the U.S. curricular model with some modifications to meet the needs of our international population. In the high school, we offer 25 AP classes, and our students go on to some of the top universities in the U.S. and throughout the world. We also offer a full range of athletics and other extracurricular activities. Each year, almost half of our secondary students participate in our Spring Break service trips.
Our new teacher orientation program starts in late July with school beginning in mid-August and ending the first part of June. We take a three week Christmas vacation. Other holidays are observed throughout the year.
Below, you will find the teacher standards of YISS. These were developed by YISS teachers, administrators, and parents, and if they mirror who you strive to be as a teacher, we would love to talk to you about any openings we may have.
A YISS Teacher:
- Matures continually in a personal relationship with Christ. Maintains a consistent devotional life. Attends church consistently. Involves him/herself actively in ministry.
- Approaches all aspects of life, personal and professional, in a way that glorifies God. Is excited about teaching. Loves students. Handles conflict appropriately. Is receptive to constructive criticism. Adjusts well to the daily challenges of school life. Contributes positively to the school community.
- Fosters a safe learning environment. Maintains proper classroom management and discipline. Encourages an atmosphere where students are free to participate. Demonstrates an understanding of the worth of each student. Shows cultural sensitivity.
- Facilitates student learning through differentiated instruction, appropriate assessment, and demonstration of content knowledge. Integrates biblical worldview. Follows curriculum guidelines.
- Promotes English language proficiency. Incorporates reading and writing across the curriculum. Emphasizes speaking and listening skills.
- Communicates professionally with members of the school community in a timely, confidential, and edifying manner.
- Interacts with students outside of the classroom. Maintains availability and approachability. Upholds a proper teacher-student relationship.
- Is committed to lifelong learning. Implements knowledge and strategies gained through professional development opportunities. Maintains credentials.
- Practices wise stewardship of all personal and YISS resources.
- Supports YISS and NICS/Oasis standards and policies as outlined in the faculty handbook and NICS Mission Manual.