Science Teacher, High School
JOB DESCRIPTION – High School Science Teacher
Nairobi is the capital and largest city in Kenya, having about four million inhabitants. West Nairobi School (WNS) is located in Karen, Kenya, a suburb in the west of Nairobi. Adjacent to the Ngong Forest, WNS is a very beautiful place. The temperature is consistent year-round, remaining between 20 and 27 degrees Celsius (65 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit) with rains occurring in November-December and again in March-May. English is one of the official languages of Kenya, Kiswahili being the other. Tourism is the top industry in Kenya, followed closely by the tea and coffee industry.
West Nairobi School is an international school that partners with parents to provide an education of excellence from a Biblical worldview based on North American curriculum. West Nairobi School strives to nurture the academic, emotional, physical, social, and spiritual development of the whole child. WNS serves children in grades pre-K through 12 from missionary, diplomatic, international business, and Kenyan families.
- The high school at West Nairobi will consist of one or two sections of 9th through 12th grade.
- The teacher to student ratio in core classes for the 2019-2020 school year is on average 1 to 14/15.
- The student body makeup consists of over 20 nationalities.
We are looking for a godly committed teacher to join the High School Team. The ideal candidate will be passionate for the job with an ability to reach out to students. They will know how to organize a class and make learning an easy and meaningful process. The goal is to help cultivate the students’ interest spiritually and academically and to help foster learning and development.
- Teach five classes within the area of Science.
- Share the gospel daily with students as a class and individually with the goal of creating disciples of Jesus Christ.
- Ensure consistent Biblical illumination throughout the curriculum.
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
- Plan, prepare and deliver highly engaging instructional activities based on outcomes of Curriculum.
- Utilize curricula that reflect the diverse educational, cultural, and linguistic backgrounds of the students served.
- Build positive relationships with parents and the WNS community.
- Provide individualized instruction to each student by promoting interactive learning.
- Assess and record students’ progress and provide grades and feedback.
- Collaborate with other teachers, parents and stakeholders and participate in regular meetings.
- Plan and execute educational in-class and outdoor activities and events.
- Develop and enrich professional skills and knowledge by attending seminars and conferences.
The candidate must possess:
- A consistent Christian lifestyle.
- Preferably an Education Major.
- Preferably State Certified in Education.
- Possess minimum of Bachelor’s degree.
- Meet certification requirements of recognized accrediting agency.
- Successful classroom teaching experience or alternate experience working with students.
- Thorough knowledge of teaching best practices and a willingness to follow the school’s policies and procedures.
- Excellent communicability and interpersonal skills.
- Well-organized and committed.
- Creative and energetic.
- Agreement to the Network of International Christian Schools (NICS) Statement of Faith and completed required NICS processing documents.