Administrator, High School Principal
Yongsan International School of Seoul (YISS) is a not-for-profit international school that offers a strong, well-rounded academic and extracurricular program for kindergarten through grade 12 students.
Fully accredited by both the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI), YISS provides a quality educational program that prepares students to continue their studies at leading universities throughout the world. Students who graduate or earn credits from YISS have no difficulty having their degrees or units recognized anywhere in the world. YISS is a member of the Network of International Christian Schools, so it is our practice to hire faculty and staff who are practicing Christians.
The school experience of our students is enriched by the rich cultural diversity of our student body. This year, the school has over 1000 students representing more than 55 different countries. The atmosphere created by the various experiences and backgrounds of the student body provides them with unique opportunities to grow relationally and prepares them for a lifetime of learning and service both in their home countries and internationally.
YISS is located in the heart of the foreign community in Seoul. Constructed in 2006, our campus includes over 60 general and specialized classrooms, meeting rooms, administrative offices, an elementary library, a secondary library, a 500-seat auditorium, two gymnasiums, two outdoor playground areas, an indoor swimming pool, a regulation-size artificial turf soccer field and above and below ground parking areas.
The High School Principal at YISS is responsible for providing leadership and administration in accordance with the school's philosophy, policies, and procedures. This role involves setting and upholding academic, professional, and spiritual standards, refining existing programs, creating new initiatives, and ensuring the efficient operation of the middle school. The High School Principal will report directly to the Headmaster and work collaboratively with faculty and staff to support the school's mission.
1. Administer the High School in accordance with the philosophy, policies, and procedures of YISS.
2. Provide leadership in the accomplishment of the spiritual mission of the high school in the lives of the faculty, staff, and students.
3. Set the academic and professional standard for the faculty, staff, and students.
4. Communicate constantly and clearly the operational progress of the high school to the headmaster.
5. Refine and develop current curricular programs of the high school in conjunction with the Director of Teaching and Learning.
6. Create new programs and processes to improve the functioning of the high school.
7. Perform faculty and staff evaluations with a mind toward professional growth.
8. Recommend with evidence to the headmaster the retention, termination, or non-renewal of high school faculty and staff.
9. Implement a professional improvement plan for teachers as necessary as a condition for continued employment.
10. Propose annual changes or updates to the high school handbooks as necessary by working with current high school leadership to propose/review policies.
11. Assist the headmaster by researching and recommending suggested policies for the efficient operation of the high school.
12. Prepare and present any reports to the headmaster as requested.
13. Be responsible for the efficient administration and effective functioning of the high school, including working with department chairs as needed.
14. Manage personnel affairs at the high school level including securing staff, recommending continuance, teacher advancement, and dismissal or discipline of high school staff in conjunction with the headmaster.
15. Conduct high school faculty meetings.
16. Work directly with the Director of Teaching and Learning and other members of the leadership team to accomplish overall school goals and recommend necessary changes.
17. Supervise the high school assistant principal(s), guidance counselors, chaplain, athletic director, and others as assigned.
18. Coordinate high school chapel programs with the high school chaplain.
19. Coordinate special events related to the high school program.
20. Check teacher Rubicon Atlas and grade books for the high school.
21. Check scheduling, supervise schedule problems of the high school, and complete next year’s master schedule.
22. Be involved in public relations for the high school as well as assisting the headmaster with parents and community relations.
23. Work in coordination with the principals in the development of duty rosters, use of facilities, and schedules.
24. Report needs for maintenance, repairs and security.
25. Be a permanent member of the steering committee and prepare documents for school accreditation.
26. Train faculty and staff in the routines of daily operations.
27. Provide leadership in the discipline program for high school students.
28. Evaluatehigh school programs and personnel and recommend changes as appropriate to the headmaster.
29. Secure substitute teachers for the high school.
30. Facilitate checkout for assigned staff at the end of year.
31. Attend meetings as directed by the headmaster.
32. Perform other duties as assigned.
33. Abide by and support all policies of YISS, KFSF and NICS/OASIS.
1. Five years classroom experience and administrative experience required
2. Master’s degree or equivalent required
3. Current State Certification
4. Prior experience as school principal preferred
5. Experience with 1:1 laptop program preferred
6. Experience with Atlas Rubicon or similar preferred
7. Experience with Schoology or similar system preferred