Music Teacher, Secondary
JOB DESCRIPTION – Secondary Music Teacher
Nairobi is the capital and largest city in Kenya, having about four million inhabitants. West Nairobi School (WNS) is located in Karen, Kenya, a suburb in the west of Nairobi. Adjacent to the Ngong Forest, WNS is a very beautiful place. The temperature is consistent year-round, remaining between 20 and 27 degrees Celsius (65 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit) with rains occurring in November-December and again in March-May. English is one of the official languages of Kenya, Kiswahili being the other. Tourism is the top industry in Kenya, followed closely by the tea and coffee industry.
West Nairobi School is an international school that partners with parents to provide an education of excellence from a Biblical worldview based on North American curriculum. West Nairobi School strives to nurture the academic, emotional, physical, social, and spiritual development of the whole child. WNS serves children in grades pre-K through 12 from missionary, diplomatic, international business, and Kenyan families.
WNS is looking for a motivated individual who is passionate and knowledgeable enough to carry on the programs that have been implemented over the last few years. The teacher needs to have a practical and working knowledge of the following instruments for the overall success of our current program: brass, percussion, guitar, piano, flute, string instruments, and violin.
The teacher will instruct students in the technical aspects of music, conduct rehearsals, and evaluate student performance.
Under the guidance of the Director and Secondary Principal the music teacher shall be responsible for the following:
- Teach Grade 6 to grade 12 music classes following prescribed standards and benchmarks.
- Use Rubicon Atlas for curriculum design
- Organize and oversee the afterschool Music Tutoring Program
- Prepare and facilitate ABRSM exams
- Orchestrate two secondary performances a year:
- Christmas story presentation highlighting the students talents and sharing the Christmas story
- Onyesha Concert highlighting what the students have learned in music throughout the school year
- Rosslyn Music Festival
- Band Tour
- WNS Fine Arts Festival
- Maintain a close personal walk with the Lord evidenced by his/her example and spiritual leadership among peers and with students.
- Demonstrate the character qualities of enthusiasm, courtesy, flexibility, integrity, kindness, self-control, perseverance, and punctuality.
- Act as appropriate Christian role models in appearance and actions.
- Meet everyday stress with emotional stability, objectivity, and optimism.
- Develop and maintain rapport with faculty, staff, students, and parents by treating others with friendliness, dignity, and consideration.
- Respectfully submit and demonstrate loyalty to constituted authority.
- Exemplifies strong Christian Character
- Native English speaker
- Certified teacher with music education degree
- Experience preferred but not required