TITLE: FINANCE DIRECTOR
The Finance Director oversees the Finance Office and all the financial operations of the school. The Finance Director works with the School Director in designing and maintaining the school’s 5 year Strategic Plan, the yearly budget, and supervises the finance team in keeping the budget up-to-date and the business running smoothly. The Finance Director is also the public relations agent for the school and helps coordinate with the various consultants for tax, law, and working visas for the employees and business. The Finance Director manages and supervises the Government Liaison, the Finance Team, and members of the Business Office.
- A bachelor’s degree in a business administration (or related field)
- A minimum 2 years work in the business realm
- Ability to oversee debt repayment, and set a yearly (and monthly) budget
- Ability to oversee 5 year strategic plans for the school (business)
- Ability to clearly communicate and represent West Nairobi School to the community as well as provide excellent internal and external customer service
- Ability to effectively manage personnel (finance, purchasing, office and government liaison personnel)
- Demonstrate a reasonable level of computer literacy, have a proficiency in electronic communication and usage of Google apps.
- A Christian with a consistent testimony among his/her family and peers.
Must be a TEAM player, especially as a key member of the Field Leadership Team. Must have a strong working knowledge of finance, budgeting. Must be able to navigate and communicate well with NICS, the Director, and local parents and wider community. Must be able to effectively manage his/her employees including encouraging and/or disciplining as needed all the while being a strong spiritual leader and role model. Must have the ability to cooperate with employees in other departments and as an administrator be able to respond to the finance questions that arise within the diverse group of WNS employees. Must be able to think quickly and act appropriately in emergency situations. Must be flexible and able to adapt to change. Must be able to function properly under time constraints and perform well under pressure. Must have punctual and regular attendance. Be available to work extra hours as needed and fill administrative needs that may arise. Support the broader program of the school by attending extracurricular activities when possible.
REPORTS TO: School Director (locally) and Comptroller (NICS). Evaluated by the School Director.
POSITION TYPE: Salaried, 12 month, initial 2 year contract, renewed annually.
- Supervision and evaluation of the Government Liaison, the Finance Team, and members of the Business Office
- Completes and submits all financial related reports due to NICS via NOVERANT as well as reports and data due to NICS Comptroller
- Works collaboratively with the Field Leadership Team in running the school
- Oversees the long-term financial planning of the school
- Oversees all accounts payable and accounts receivable activities
- Works with the School Director to design and maintain the school’s 5 year Strategic Plan
- Serves as public relations liaison for the banks, tax office, businesses, as well as parents.
- Makes and implements the WNS's yearly budget (with the School Director and DAC)
- Oversees the monthly financial reports to NICS
- Works with the WNS auditors and consultants.
- Oversees all banking and bookkeeping functions necessary for proper financial reporting, ensuring accurate and regularly reconciled financial records
- Oversees payroll for school employees including all related taxes to ensure WNS and staff are compliant with local laws.
- Coordinates all required school insurance policies (facility, accident, employee dishonesty, etc.)
- Oversees the tuition invoicing process and closely monitors payment schedules to ensure all tuition and fees are collected in accordance with school and NICS policy.
- Manages and administers Tuition Assistance Program (when applicable)
- Oversees Northstar Associates SDN BHD and OISKL paperwork, documents to ensure school is compliant with all government financial regulations
- Supervises the WNS Government Liaison on the following tasks:
- Processing WORK PERMITS for Expatriate Staff (renewals as well)
- Overseeing legal government paperwork
- Acting as liaison for WNS Government Relations
- Coordinating with NICS for all the legal paperwork for our new hires
- Meets multiple times per week (to help plan out the work order activities) and (for quality control of the work orders) with the Facilities’ Manager and his Facilities’ Supervisor to make sure that the school is maintained well and that the supplies needed to run the school are here.
- Oversees the purchasing process and vendor relationships ensuring bids are received and contracts negotiated when necessary
- Oversees school’s Fixed Asset inventory and maintains up to date depreciation schedule
- Educates staff in how to manage individual budgets for classroom and extracurricular activities.
- Helps orient the new staff in Kenyan finances, and facilitates the setting up (opening) of bank accounts and tax id’s.
- Assists in setting up new employee bank accounts.
- Works with the HR Director in securing expat staff housing.
- Available and willing to advise staff on financial topics.
- Other duties as assigned by the School Director.