Bible Teacher, High School
In 1996, the Summer Institute of Linguistics (SIL) started West Nairobi School. The School was established to provide a quality North American Christian education for children of missionaries, expatriates and nationals. During the 2002–2003 school year, the Network of International Christian Schools (NICS) began operating West Nairobi School. The purpose of NICS is to reach the world for Christ through international Christian education. NICS is a Biblically based, Christ-centered, caring community committed to excellence. West Nairobi School is located on 10 beautiful acres in Karen, Kenya. We have 330+ students from over 30 different countries. Our teaching staff comes from Canada, Kenya, and United States of America. We have seen growth in our teaching staff as well. This year, our goal is to add 5 new positions. Our theme for the past three years has been: Teaching Truth, Training Minds, & Impacting the Kingdom. God continues to do a mighty work at WNS, we see His blessings being poured out here. Will you consider joining us? We would love to talk with you!
- Teach Bible Class to 10th grade Bible (3 Sections), 11th/12th grade Bible (2 Sections)
- Teach either Intro to Christianity, OT/NT Survey, or a Bible Elective.
- Share the gospel daily with students as a class and individually with the goal of creating disciples of Jesus Christ
- Ensure consistent Christ-centered instruction throughout the curriculum.
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
- Plan, prepare and deliver highly engaging instructional activities based on outcomes of curriculum.
- Utilize curricula that reflect the diverse educational, cultural, and linguistic backgrounds of the students served.
- Build positive relationships with parents and the WNS community.
- Provide individualized instruction to each student by promoting interactive learning.
- Assess and record students’ progress and provide grades and feedback.
- Collaborate with other teachers, parents and stakeholders and participate in regular meetings.
- Plan and execute educational in-class and outdoor activities and events.
- Develop and enrich professional skills and knowledge by attending seminars and conferences.
- Participate in occasional after school / weekend activities as needed.
- A consistent Christian lifestyle.
- An Education Major or Subject-Area Degree.
- Preferably State Certified in Education.
- Possess minimum of Bachelor’s degree.
- Meet certification requirements of recognized accrediting agencies.
- Two years of successful classroom teaching experience or alternate experience working with students.
- Thorough knowledge of teaching best practices and a willingness to follow the school’s policies and procedures.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Well-organized and committed.
- Creative and energetic.
- Teachable and flexible.
- Positive attitude.
- Agreement to the Network of International Christian Schools (NICS) Statement of Faith and completed required NICS processing documents.
West Nairobi School believes it is important to provide additional benefits above and beyond the monthly stipend teachers receive while teaching with us.
Full-time teachers and administrators who have been hired as NICS Missionaries are eligible to receive these benefits.
We are pleased to be able to offer a generous package which includes:
- Travel Assistance
- Upon signing the initial two year contract, West Nairobi School will purchase a round trip ticket to Kenya and back to your home country/city. (1-way to start the contract and 1-way home.)
- Housing / Housing Set Up
- West Nairobi School will provide a monthly housing stipend equivalent to $200 USD (pretax) per month per NICS Missionary.
- Upon moving, West Nairobi School will give each NICS Missionary Teacher $1,200 USD to help them with housing set up.
- School Lunch
- Teachers at WNS will receive free school lunch each day.
- Tuition Waiver
- WNS Teachers who are hired as NICS Missionaries will receive a tuition waiver for their children while teaching at WNS. NICS Missionary Teachers may be required to pay for their children’s class supplies.
- Professional Development
- West Nairobi School believes in the growth of their teachers. Professional Development opportunities will be provided all throughout the school year. An additional $300 USD will be allotted for each teacher to use toward their own professional growth.
- West Nairobi School also provides the opportunity for teachers to apply for a Continuing Education Grant should the teacher desire to pursue a Master’s or Doctorate degree.
- West Nairobi School supports teachers in the recertification process by providing opportunities to earn ACSI CEUs throughout the school year.
- Work Permit
- West Nairobi School will pay for the work permit and the processing of the document. WNS will ask for all of the necessary documentation from each teacher and is more than willing to assist expatriate teachers in this way.
- Health Insurance
- West Nairobi School will provide Cigna Envoy insurance for each NICS Missionary on the field in Kenya.
- Laptop Stipend
- WNS Teachers are required to provide their own device for school and classroom use. WNS Teachers will receive $500 toward your laptop computer at the start of the contract.
- Previous Experience
- WNS recognizes up to 5 years previous Teaching experience on our pay scale.
Future Benefits upon Contract Renewal
- WNS Teachers who renew after the initial 2-year contract will receive the following additional benefits:
- Annual Airfare for Teachers. Family members will receive a partial reimbursement up to 80% of the airfare depending upon age.
- $100 Education/Retirement stipend. WNS Teachers can receive the $100 to help with Education or can receive up to $100 match toward our 401k plan (starts in September).