Highlands International School (HIS) was founded on February 2, 2003. Since May 19, 2003, HIS has been a member of the Network of International Christian Schools (NICS), along with many schools around the world. HIS is an international Christian school that provides an environment of academic excellence and respect for people of all cultures and religions. Highlands International School is a community of students, parents, and Christian educators, working together as a NICS network school, to instill in each student a passion for truth, a commitment to excellence, and an appreciation for diversity. HIS Core Values: Servant Leadership, Christ-like Compassion, Biblical Stewardship.
The Chaplain will work closely with the school administrators to set the theme and spiritual tone of the school. The Chaplain will work with the teachers on chapel planning, meet individually with students to learn about their spiritual growth, and help plan and implement spiritual activities throughout the school. The Chaplain’s concentration will be on the spiritual needs of the school community.
- The Chaplain will work in conjunction with the Director, Principal(s), and lead teachers, in developing and scheduling a yearly Chapel program that is well-rounded and age appropriate and that integrates the overall spiritual theme for the year.
- The Chaplain will work towards an HIS goal to have what happens in Bible classes connect with the chapels and then be practiced in a variety of outreaches and extracurricular activities.
- The Chaplain will make every effort to speak to every secondary student in the school one-on-one at least one time throughout the school year.
- The Chaplain will coordinate the staff devotions.
- The Chaplain will be responsible to plan the New Teacher Orientation then to assist in the implementation of that Orientation. [as different from a teacher/mentor program]
- The Chaplain will be responsible for the New Parent/Student Orientation.
- The Chaplain will oversee, coordinate and be involved a in the discipleship ministry through activities such as student Bible studies, prayer groups and worship.
- The Chaplain will plan, coordinate and oversee the Spiritual Emphasis Week (SEW) events. He will coordinate with administration the needs of the guests who come during SEW.
- The Chaplain will serve on the Field Leadership Team (FLT) as defined by NICS policy.
- The Chaplain will collect information monthly on students coming to faith and report that to the CFO and the Director. The Chaplain will follow up with these students on their spiritual walk and talk with teachers about how to disciple these new believers (case-by-case basis).
- The Chaplain will work closely with the Counselor on addressing the personal and spiritual conditions of the students. The Chaplain will counsel as needed, which will grow as students build rapport with him. During the counseling, the Chaplain will respect professional ethics that require confidentiality concerning the sharing of information with students, parents and/or staff.
- The Chaplain will coordinate and attend school mission trips, community service days, and other special events as designated.
- The Chaplain will work with the Director to develop the Annual Report and Presentation.
- The Chaplain will serve as an as needed substitute teacher.
- The Chaplain will assist the administrative team in any way the Director or Principal(s) deem necessary to improve the spiritual climate of the school.
K4 to 12th Grade
The Chaplain will also teach Bible at the Secondary level.
Extra Curricular Resposibilities
Discipleship; minimum travel for mission trips, community service, etc.
A bachelors degree in a related field or equivalent experience
Experience working with students
Ability to clearly communicate
A Christian with a consistent testimony among family and peers
Demonstrates a reasonable level of computer literacy
An appointed missionary with NICS
Able to adapt to the culture and have a clear purpose of the mission
HIS is a supportive community
HIS pays for staff housing
HIS pays for transportation to and from the school each day