JOB DESCRIPTION – Business Manager
Brasilia International School (BIS) is located in Brazil's capital city. Brasilia is a purpose-built city, designed in the late 1950's as the federal district of the country. Like Washington, DC, it is not a municipality or state. The original city is designed in the shape of an airplane where the seat of government is in the "cockpit"; the hotels, TV tower, and major road arteries are in the middle body; and the residential areas and businesses are in the wings. BIS is located near the top of the southern tip of the south wing which is also the area where our expat staff lives. Brasilia has 2.8 million people with many living in 'satellite cities' surrounding the original "airplane" city. Brazil is the 5th largest country in the world and Brasilia the 4th largest city. Brasilia is home to 133 embassies which contributes to the great diversity of the city and school. Brasilia has amazing weather, a spacious city park and man-made lake, accessibility to beautiful waterfalls, a great assortment of restaurants and sidewalk cafes, and delicious local foods including tapioca and acai. There is much to see and enjoy.
BIS is unique in Brasilia as the only international school that is not required to have Brazilian accreditation. This allows us the flexibility to pursue academic and spiritual excellence without having to compromise to government or ministry regulations. BIS has a PK through 12th grade program with the majority of students in the elementary school. BIS is fortunate to have the freedom to share and integrate our Biblical worldview throughout all the curriculum and into the community. Our campus is situated on 2 lots in the "school zone" of the south wing. The leased campus and buildings were built to be a school and there is area to grow on these lots in the future. Currently BIS has 135 students from 25 countries. We are thankful to God to be here in Brasilia!
The Business Manager oversees the BIS Finance Office and all the financial operations of the school. The Business Manager works with and reports to the School Director in designing and maintaining all business-related strategic plans and the yearly budget. He/she supervises the budget while keeping up-to-date reporting and the overall financial operations running smoothly. The Business Manager is also the public relations agent for the school and helps coordinate with the various consultants related to the business of the school. The Business Manager collaborates/manages with the local accounting firm, auxiliary staff, the business office, and other team members as assigned. Utmost, the Business Manager must consider himself/herself not simply a business professional but more importantly a missionary on the field to share the Gospel to those God has entrusted to the BIS ministry.
Oversees and leads the annual budgeting and planning process with the School Director, including review of all financial plans and budgets, monitoring of progress and changes, and keeping FLT abreast of the organization’s financial status. Manages organizational cash flow and financial forecast as pertains to the school. Coordinates the annual audit process, liaises with external auditors and FLT members and assesses any changes necessary. Oversees operational functions from a financial standpoint, ensures cost efficient purchases are in place to provide sound stewardship of monetary resources. Processes monthly informational packets to local accountant. Reconciles all applicable school accounts, and keeps QuickBooks updated on a daily basis. Oversees payroll and taxes to make sure BIS is compliant with all laws. Oversees the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP).
1. A bachelor’s degree in business administration or related field as determined by the School Director and NICS Comptroller.
2. Preferred minimum 5 years business experience and 2 years in administration or leadership role.
3. Ability to contribute to the BIS Continuous School Improvement Plan (CSIP) and the 5 year Strategic Plan as assigned.
4. Ability to clearly communicate and represent BIS honorably to the community with a strong Christian witness.
5. Ability to demonstrate a reasonable level of computer literacy.
6. Full compliance with all items contained in the BIS Faculty Handbook, Parent-Student Handbook, and NICS Missions Manual.
9. A willingness to be flexible, respectful, and humble.
10. Demonstrates in his/her leadership style the mindset that every student has the potential to be successful, a heart of empathy for those struggling, and encourages those whom he/she leads to maintain a similar level of grace-based philosophy.
11. A Christian with a consistent testimony among his/her family and peers.