Library Media Specialist
The International Christian School of Lima is looking for a certified librarian for the 2018-19 school year.
The Librarian will run the ICS Lima library which includes ordering, cataloging and shelving books and audio/visual equipment as well as managing those individuals assigned to work in the Library. The Librarian will also teach elementary school students one period per week by class and is encouraged to select age appropriate books that trigger great Biblical discussions. The Librarian will implement the Destiny software to help facilitate cataloging and managing community check-in,check-out of resources.
1. A Bachelors degree in Library Science preferred, or related experience
2. Classes and/or trainings in library management
3. Experience working with students and teaching elementary students
4. As a teacher must have experience doing lesson plans and classroom management, handling discipline proactively
5. Ability to clearly communicate to parents, students, and vendors
6. Experience managing staff, in this case Peruvian and student workers
7. Experience in ordering supplies domestically and internationally
8. Demonstrates a high level of computer literacy, having a basic proficiency in word processing, e-mailing, and accessing the internet
9. A Christian with a consistent testimony among his/her family and peers.
REPORTS TO AND SUPERVISED BY: Academic Principal
POSITION TYPE: Full-time , Salaried, 10 months.
• Select from the books donated to the school those which are to be included in the library.
• Purchase new books, DVD’s, magazines, and supplies for the library as funds are available.
• Maintain library, including books, computerized catalogues, periodicals, and equipment.
• Take care of all check-out, check-in, cataloguing and shelving of books.
• Supervise all library assistants and volunteer parents working in the library.
• Send out overdue notices and collect fines.
• Assist teachers and students in finding books and materials in specific subject areas.
• Chair the “I Love to Read Month” Committee.
• Maintain a book order program for students to purchase reading books.
• Stay abreast on the latest research and technology in the field of Library Science.
• Teach students how to utilize the library.
• Establish times for the use of the library by all ICS Lima classes.
• Oversee a committee of teachers and administration that deals with books whose contents have been questioned.
• Introduce classes in primary grades to a variety of literature genres through read-aloud times each week with a focus on sharing Biblical truths.
• Liaise with secondary teachers to assist in the teaching of and development of research skills among all the students enrolled in the secondary program.
• Maintain a personal appearance that is a role model of cleanliness, modesty, good taste, and in agreement with school policy.
• Safeguard the interests of the NICS and her mission.
• Demonstrate the character qualities of enthusiasm, courtesy, flexibility, integrity, kindness, self-control, perseverance, and punctuality.
• Maintain a close personal walk with the Lord evidenced by his/her example and spiritual leadership among peers and with students.
• Meet everyday stress with emotional stability, objectivity, and optimism.
• Develop and maintain rapport with faculty, staff, students, and parents by treating others with friendliness, dignity, and consideration.
• Respectfully submit and demonstrate loyalty to constituted authority.
• Accept responsibility for other assigned duties deemed necessary by the Director for the operation of ICS Lima.
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS:
1. Must maintain a clean, attractive, well-ordered Library and office.
2. Must cooperate with employees in other departments.
3. Must be able to respond politely to Customers.
4. Must be able to think quickly and act appropriately in emergency situations.
5. Must be flexible and able to adapt to change.
6. Must be able to function properly under time constraints and under pressure.
7. Must have punctual and regular attendance.
8. Must communicate effectively with a wide variety of audiences.
9. Must work in a close-knit team environment.
10. Must ensure that the work environment in the Library is Christian-based, nurturing, wholesome, and loving.
11. Must have knowledge of the school’s curriculum and standards.
12. Must integrate Biblical principles and the Christian worldview when teaching.
13. Must support the broader ICS Lima program by attending extra-curricular events when possible.
EVALUATED: by the Academic Principal